Raising Children In The Social Media Age




Okay, moms. I know this is a frequently discussed subject. I felt like I needed to address it and give my perspective.


By the way, I’m back again. I took a small hiatus to get my life. We all have to do it every now and then. Maintain.

Anyway, I wanted to talk about the pro’s and cons of raising our children in this day and age. The social media era.

When I was growing up, there was of course, the Internet but it wasn’t as huge as it is now. Cell phones were just getting started, apps weren’t really a thing, etc. Kids were still playing outside until the street lights came on, and just being kids.

I know that as I have gotten older, social media has expanded tremendously. We have Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, etc. and sometimes it’s a little scary, especially if you have children.

People use these apps and websites sometimes for good and sometimes not for good. I’ve come to realize that we can’t always censor everything from our children. We can surely try, but it won’t always work in our favor.

Now, for the mommies and daddies who are like me, when you need a moment to get your life together or even to cook dinner, you may sit your kids in front of the TV or you let them watch YouTube videos because you know it’ll keep them “occupied” just long enough. I‘ve been there more often than not.

My mother has even said to me “I don’t want that phone or tablet teaching her things instead of you.” Trust me mom, I’m quite intelligent and on the contrary, kids can also learn valuable things on YouTube and on children’s apps. Personally, I don’t let my daughter watch certain videos or listen to certain songs. I’m thankful that there are options like “parental control” so that I
can monitor what my daughter is viewing or listening to. There’s also timers so that parents may manage their child's screen time.

To limit her time in front of the TV or phone screen, I make it a point to read at least two books with my daughter before the day is over. It’s mostly at bedtime, and I believe she enjoys it. It’s intimate and I love to just be present. We work on pronunciation and counting; things that are fundamental for her.

I suggest that all parents try to be present as much as you can. Especially with your little ones. They may not remember everything from their childhood but they will always retain the most important parts. They will remember that you were there for them, and they will remember your effort.

Raising our children in the social media era can be difficult and frustrating but I’ve recognized ways to manage it for my daughter. I will also say, pay very close attention to what your children are watching, the music they are listening to, games that they play and so on. Make sure that whatever it is will be beneficial to their learning and skill building.



If you like this post, leave a comment and don’t forget to share with your mommy (and daddy) friends! 

Comments