Post-Part um Items Moms ACTUALLY Need! PT.1



When I was pregnant with my daughter I had a list of things that I thought I needed. I'm the kind of mom who researches EVERYTHING. I made a list of all my "necessities" and I thought if I didn't get all of what was on my list, I would be unprepared. What I found after giving birth was that a lot of those things I really didn't need -- or worse.. there were things that I did need and did not have. 

So, I made a list of items that I believe all new moms need post-par tum. 


Diapers 

Yep, you guessed it! First on the list is diapers.
Whether they are cloth or just regular ol' pampers, you will NEED diapers. 
If you can help it, the first 3 months (as far as sizes). I preferred pampers because they never gave my daughter a rash and they didn't leave residue. Just be sure to get lots of whatever your preferred brand is.




Wipes

I know. DUH. Wipes should really go hand-in-hand with diapers but the reason I'm making a separate column for them is because they are just as important as diapers. I prefer Pampers Sensitive wipes because they are unscented. Your baby's skin is sensitive, so you of course want to consider that. I get a 576ct at Target for $13.99. 





 Onesies 

These are some of my favorite items on the list. Plain white or black onesies. They are cheap and so convenient! When you're just lounging around the house, your little one can wear them. They're even great for when your children are in their toddler years. I like to put them under My daughter's shirts or dresses. Especially in the fall or winter.

Side Tip: I would also suggest onesies with mittens on them to keep your baby's hands warm. 






Swaddle Blankets

Personally, my daughter always found a way to unravel them, but I suggest swaddle blankets because they keep your baby warm through their first months of life. They are fairly priced and you can usually find them in packs. My favorites were the ones that were kind of stretchy (easier to swaddle). 
I would also advise more than one pack, just to be safe. 






Portable Changing Pad

Since becoming a mother I can honestly say that I've turned into a bit of a germophobe. 
When you are lucky enough to locate a changing station in a public restroom, you may find that they are not always as sanitary as you'd like them to be. That's why a portable changing pad made the list.  They even come in handy when unfortunate events happen and you can't make it to a restroom. I've had to change plenty of diapers in the car and having a changing pad on hand is life saving! 


Burping Cloths 

Next on the list is burping cloths.
Babies spit up -- it's inevitable. This is why burping cloths made the list. I always used blanket sized cloths because they cover the whole upper body and sometimes I even use them as cover-ups while I nurse my daughter in public.






Hooded Towels

Hooded towels are good because they're really soft, and because your baby's skin is so dainty, you’ll want and NEED these. Plus, the hood keeps they're head warm and dry after bath time. A woman I worked with custom made a hooded towel for me when I was expecting. My daughter still uses it and it is the BEST. 





Bottles


Bottles are always essential. Even if you are breastfeeding you will need bottles. 
My favorite brand was Avent because they have an anti-colic pack and those were so helpful. Another thing I love about this brand is their Natural pack. The nipples are designed to mimic your own nipples. These are ideal for the breastfeeding mother. You can get these at Target or Walmart for $19.99. 





Humidifier

Ahh, humidifiers. These are nice to keep in your nursery and they are essential for your newborns because it keeps the air moist, of course, and in turn will keep your baby's skin from becoming irritated and dry. I use the Safety First brand which can be found at Target for $29.99.


Bassinet
Last but certainly not least is the bassinet! This is my FAVORITE of all the items because it was the most convenient for me. As I stated in one of my previous posts, I had a moment where I needed to shower while I was home alone. I used my bassinet to wheel Ava into the bathroom in order to keep an eye on her. The bassinet is perfect because it has a little compartment for diapers, blankets, pacifiers, etc. I found mine at Burlington for $60. If you don't have a Burlington wherever you are in the world, look for them in your local Walmart or Target; or shop on Amazon. 






These are some items that I believe will be beneficial to all new moms. Look for PT.2 soon! 









Comments